BUG SEASON PREP
Ticks, Blackflies, Mosquitoes, Deer Flies, Stable Flies...
Nehasane's Top 10+ List for Bad Bug Bite Avoidance:
1. Wash your body & hair with unscented soap/shampoo, use fragrance-free sunscreen & any other products you may put on your skin.
2. Wash clothing with unscented detergent.
3. Cover up - wear long sleeve shirt & long pants.
4. Use a bugshirt like the Original Bugshirt Elite Edition.
5. Use a headnet (altho blackflies have a tendency to find gaps between net & shirt).
6. Spend your time in windy places.
7. Paddlers can get well away from shore where it is breezier.
8. Use a DEET, Picaridin or IR3535 product on exposed skin - 20% is often good enough for me, 30% max.
9. Use Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus on skin.
Several makers of “natural” insect repellents (which typically contain essential plant oils such as cedar, citronella, clove, lemongrass, peppermint, and rosemary) claim that their products can help ward off mosquitoes. But Consumer Reports & Nehasane tests show that these active ingredients aren’t very effective, often failing in tests within half an hour, worse if you sweat.
10, Pretreat clothing with a Permethrin product (must be dry before wearing).
11. Use Thermacell products in camp.
12. Go out with a group - there's a good chance the bugs will like someone else better than you.
13. Only go out when the temperature is below 55 degrees F. (wish for longer winters)
14. Only go out when it is raining.
15. Sit in smoke.
16. Wear light-colored clothing - mosquitoes prefer to land on dark colors.
17. Don't sweat - mosquitoes are attracted to the lactic acid.
18. Don't breathe heavily - mosquitoes are attracted to the carbon dioxide.